Monday, June 1, 2015

Housekeeping and The Law of Attraction

I've been writing a series of blog posts about Magickal Housekeeping and the spiritual aspects of the home, room by room.  Starting with the spiritual power of Clearing Your Space and getting rid of clutter I've challenged myself and my readers to begin to declutter the home.  I've so far covered the Bathroom and the Bedroom and will be moving on to the Kitchen soon.

This post is a bit of a follow-up on the original post on this series - Clutter As A Block To Spiritual Flow.  I wanted to talk again about the Law of Attraction.  As mentioned in my original post, Clutter and mess can be a factor in slowly draining away energy, or blocking the flow of energy in your home.  The best of intentions and the positive thinking that are crucial aspects of the Law of Attraction can be diminished if your home is in disarray.

Trust me, my home is far from clean and organized!  I'm probably the last person to be telling someone else how to get organized!  But, I've recognized it as a challenge for myself and have learned a lot over the past few years.  My housework has become a spiritual practice - giving it meaning instead of letting it feel like a chore that I do grudgingly.  I often fall behind on my goals and upkeep - I suffer from Chronic Migraines that end up limiting how much I can do from day to day.  When I feel good, I often spend my time playing "catch up" on the chores like laundry, dishes, and basic cleaning. This is part of why I'm challenging myself to de-clutter and get organized.  It is much easier to maintain and "catch up" when there isn't all this extra stuff cluttering up the place!  Plus I know I have felt a difference in a room that has less junk.  When the things in a room all serve a purpose - and they are all either useful or beautiful - the room functions as it is designed.



Here are some of my thoughts about The Law of Attraction and how it applies to the home and housekeeping:

  • Everything around you elicits some kind of emotional response or thought.  The pile of papers on your desk that need to be organized - makes you feel stressed, overwhelmed, or panicked at the thought of those upcoming bills or things to do.  The beautiful trinket that is a family heirloom and makes you think of a beloved family member can bring feelings of comfort or belonging.  The gift that was given to you by an Ex - while it is nice and you like it, just reminds you of the failed relationship or the anger associated with that person.  The clean countertop with a beautiful vase of flowers makes you feel refreshed and joyful every time you walk past it.  Now, thinking of the Law of Attraction and how our thoughts and feelings attract things to our lives - which of the above examples would you want around you?  It's easier to maintain the positive thinking when you're surrounded by things that promote feelings of positivity.  And much harder to maintain the positive attitude when things around you are consistently making you feel stressed, regretful, or sad.

  • What are you thinking of while you clean the house?  If you're thinking "I hate doing this." or feeling angry that other household members haven't helped out as much as they should; what effect is that having on the Law of Attraction?  If you can maintain some level of mindfulness while you do your chores, however - you can change those simple jobs into a beautiful experience.  While you wash the dishes, try focusing on feelings of gratitude.  After all if you have dirty dishes it means that you had food to eat.  You have running water and dishes to eat off of.  When you sweep or mop the floor you can visualize sweeping away the negativity or any stress that may have entered your home.  When you fold the laundry you can focus on feelings of love and protection for each family member.  There are many ways you can turn those chores into active meditations or spiritual rituals.  And then they become a powerful source of positivity to contribute to the Law of Attraction, rather than moments of frustration or anger that are attracting the wrong sort of energy.

  • Taking care of your home is a strong expression of LOVE - for yourself and your family.  I love the website www.FlyLady.org and the methods FlyLady teaches.  Her primary message is that cleaning your home is a powerful act of Self Love.  F.L.Y. stands for "Finally Loving Yourself" and she teaches that creating simple routines and doing little things every day to bless your home is simply another act of self care.  Just as we must care for our body with healthy diet and hygiene, we must take care of our environment as well.  Not only does it do the obvious part of providing a sanitary place to eat and sleep; it also promotes an environment that is good for our mental and spiritual health.  Avoiding the stress of trying to find some important paperwork that was lost in a pile of clutter.  Feeling more empowered to go about the tasks of the day because you have a plan, a routine.  Having more time to focus on the things that truly bring us joy and satisfaction. 
Having a "Perfect" home is not the goal.  It's about creating a home that is functional to what you need it to be; a place of rest and safety.  I've come to accept the fact that I'll never be perfectly organized and tidy.  I'm okay with that.  But I've listed some attitudes and tools that have helped me maintain a sense of control.  A place to start and things to remember when I'm feeling bogged down or overwhelmed.  As a person with a chronic illness I have trouble sticking to daily routines because not every day comes with the energy or ability to do even the smallest tasks.  I'm working on creating habits that help me on my good days and my bad days.  Getting rid of clutter is just a part of the process; as well as having a spiritual purpose or mindfulness behind the tasks that I do.

Good Luck and Blessed Be!

This post was inspired by the writing prompt at The Pagan Experience for more posts about the Law Of Attraction from Pagan Blogs click here

No comments:

Post a Comment