Thursday, June 11, 2015

What I'm Reading - Booknificent Thursday

I'm joining in at This Linky Party for Book Reviews - Booknificent Thursdays!

http://mommynificent.com/category/booknificent-thursdays/
 
What I've been reading;
 
The Codex Alera (series)
 
I just finished the last book in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.  I devoured this series of six books in about 4 or 5 weeks.  I love Butcher's Dresden Files series and I wanted to check out his other series - I'm so glad that I did!  It has a different style and far different setting than the Dresden Files series.  The Codex Alera series is set in a world quite different than our own.  Alera is a realm of humans, yet each human has the ability to control a "Fury" - best described as an Elemental.  Some people can control more than one element, some people just one or two.  Except for Tavi - our main character who has never had any ability with Furycraft whatsoever.  In a realm where your position and level of citizenship depend on your level of Furycrafting ability - life isn't going to be easy for Tavi. 
Very early in the series we learn that there are other races of beings in realms outside of Alera - beings that Alera has consistently been at war with.  Within the realm of Alera itself a Civil War is brewing as there is no clear heir to the throne and a power struggle to claim the throne begins.  Through the six books we follow several characters in their adventures.  There is war, subterfuge, mystery, action, love and more.  These books have it all and are a great series for anyone who loves fantasy fiction.
 
The New Vesta Secret
 
I began reading The New Vesta Secret by Debra may Macleod.  If you follow my blog you know I have an affinity for Vesta.  I was thrilled to find an author who is renewing and helping create a modern Spiritual path honoring Vesta.  The author walks you through her own life and how she discovered and reinvented this path for herself.  I'm very much enjoying this book and it has renewed and uplifted my own spiritual home practice
 
Grimoire For The Green Witch
 
I'm reading Grimoire For The Green Witch by Ann Moura with a Pagan Book Club.  I'm enjoying the perspective of Green Witchcraft.  There is a lot of helpful information and spells, rituals, recipes, etc in this book.  Will review further when I am finished.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you joined us at Booknificent Thursday! Unfortunately, my site is down so there won't be a link-up this week. I hope to be back up and running next week and hope to see you there!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete