Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Rainy Day and Apple Pie


I wake up to the smell of rain. A fog lays low over the trees. The rain has stopped, but it still sounds like it is raining because of the water droplets falling from the trees. I make my coffee, make the kids' school lunches, send them off to the bus stop.  

The soundtrack of this day is the album "August, And Everything After" by Counting Crows. I sing along as I wash the dishes, drink my coffee, and do my morning yoga.

On the porch, a crate of apples is being washed in the rain.  A friend picked apples from a neighbor's tree a couple days ago and brought them here to The Sanctuary. Noticing the apples, I feel inspired. Today is the day to make apple pie!


I find a recipe and head out in the rain to the grocery store for a few ingredients we don't have.  Wait for the kids to get home from school because I know this is something they will want to help with.

Easy Apple Pie

Ingredients;
2 nine-inch pie crusts (one for bottom, one for top)
1/4 cup flour or flour substitute ( I am using Almond Meal)
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons butter
6 cups thinly sliced apples

Preheat oven to 425°F
Place one pie crust in the pie pan.
Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in the apple slices. Place apple mixture in pie crust. Dot with small segments of unmelted butter. (This will melt and mix in as it bakes.) Cover with top pie crust & pinch edges to seal. Cut a couple slits in top crust to vent steam.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes until crust is golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.

Recipe found at www.momswhothink.com

(Not your store-bought apples!)

(Almond Meal instead of Flour)


I sprinkled some sugar & cinnamon on the top crust right after taking it out of the stove.

It's cooling on the counter, and now the smell of apple pie mingles with the smell of rain.  Dinner tonite is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches followed by some of this amazing pie! It doesn't get much better than this! 








No comments:

Post a Comment