Sunday, September 21, 2014

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse


Joining in at Book Journey to share what I am currently reading!


"Siddhartha" 
By Herman Hesse (1951)

Following along with my theme of a couple previous posts here, I decided to continue reading this book. I had started reading it earlier this year, but then packed the book up when we moved. Since I am working on meditating more often and subsequently learning about Buddhism, I figured now would be a good time to finish reading this one!

From the back cover:
"This classic novel of self-discovery, set in India during the lifetime of the historic Buddha, has inspired generations of spiritual seekers.  The tale of a young Brahman's quest for the ultimate reality follows his spiritual journey - from the extremes of excess and sensuality to the rigors of asceticism and self-denial. Ultimately he learns that wisdom cannot be taught - it must come from one's own experience and inner struggle. Told in an evocative, symbolic style that gives the story a sense of the timeless, the novel is admired for it's engaging prose, human sympathy, imagination, and ironic humor." (Dover Publications, 1999)



6 comments:

  1. I had planned to read this book in 2014. I have a copy. Still time.

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went back to school, I had to read Siddhartha. I think it was for a World Religion class. I didn't understand a word of it not even with the teacher's help. I would love to see what you think of it. Maybe I wasn't mature enough or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helped that I am familiar with Buddhist concepts and words used in that culture. I wouldn't have understood it otherwise! Good to have some background knowledge to work with!

      Delete
  3. I read Siddhartha in HS in our Humanities class. I remember finding it really confusing for a sheltered, Roman Catholic school girl. I hope you are enjoying it more. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard such good things about this book, and the writer. I am interested in this--thank you for the information about it.

    My week: http://www.alwaysreiding.com/manic-monday-09222014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure about the writing style at first, it didn't really capture me until half way through. But it's short and I am glad I stuck with it!

      Delete