Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Mindfulness Practice - Making Your Bed

I have been adding my thoughts on how cleaning your house, even the simple stuff, can be part of a spiritual devotion.  This week I've been focusing on the bedroom so today I wanted to talk about the simple act of making your bed.  I've discussed how having a clean, organized bedroom can help promote a restful night's sleep, provide you with a relaxing space to unwind, encourage a healthy relationship with your partner, and possibly even be a Sacred Space for your meditation area or your Altar.  You begin your day and end your day in your bedroom. 

When you begin your day, it is the best time to set your intentions for the day.  A few minutes to check-in with your Spirit or Higher self and decide what you want out of the day.  When our bed is made, we feel like our day is officially beginning!  It reduces the temptation to just crawl back under the covers, and it makes the bed that much more welcoming at bedtime when we are done with our day and ready to go to sleep!



 When I make my bed, I like to say a little blessing prayer for the day.  I feel like when I make my bed, I am turning the page to a brand new day.  I am saying "yesterday is over." and preparing to start a new day.  Each day is a blank page, a fresh start in writing our story!  Making the bed doesn't take long, but I love to take those few moments to take a deep breath, turn the page from yesterday to today, and say a blessing for the day ahead of me!

In ancient yogic traditions, as well as Buddhist teachings, we find a practice called "Mindfulness".  It's about being fully aware of what you are doing in the present moment.  Being aware of your actions, your feelings, and your intentions.  Making your bed is a good place to start with practicing a few minutes a day of Mindful Awareness, and of Devoting some time to your Spiritual Practice.

A simple prayer for making your bed might include gratitude for your sleep and safety, followed by an affirmation or promise to make the most out of your day.

Example;
"I am grateful for the sleep, safety, dreams and healing I received here last night.
Today is new!  Yesterday is done and today I begin again!
My goal for today is _____________________"

Simple visualization and focusing on a feeling of gratitude is enough!  Just focus on the task of making your bed while holding the feeling of gratitude in your heart and try not to let your mind wander!

No comments:

Post a Comment